Monday, November 03, 2008

Speeches: Motivate & Influence

Power is truely the ability to influence and motivate other people. I witnessed power tonight that I have never felt in my life.

Tonight, with my gorgeous wife and best friend, I watched the man who COULD (and God willing WILL) be our next President, Barack Obama, speak at my alma mater.

This is easily the biggest thing to ever happen at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I know we have made the Final Four, I know we have won conference championships, I know we have hosted world leaders and Presidents before, but this, this was really special.

The three of us met at 4:30... waited in line at Verizon Wireless Amplitheatre to catch the busses to get over to Campus. We boarded busses at 5:45 and made our way over. At 6:15 we made it to the recreation fields where the event was set up. After two periods of rain and phone calls to Andy to track Obama's progress through Charlotte, the motorcade arrived. Like a rock star he wasted little time taking the stage and lighting it up.

Barack's grandmother died today, he talked a bit about her. He really touched me with sincere pain as he rememberd the way she has affected his life. I wish she would be alive if he could have taken the oath of office. The speech touched us all. Amanda and I were both really excited the the good parents of the world brought their kids to witness this history, brave the rain, and give them a real civics lesson.

The rally served its purpose, I am going to find a way to volunteer and canvas for Barack tomorrow. If you need a ride to the polls, call me, if you need some info, I will find it for you.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Will you babysit Ashton & Kate so I can vote? Please????? (The little tikes won't stand still in line, not even for democracy).