Sunday, September 14, 2008

poof, weekend gone!

Amanda and I passed our weekend in our favorite place, the mountains!  We went up to Blowing Rock Friday night, slept in, then went off to the Shoppes on the Parkway because my silly butt forgot to pack underwear.  After a stop at Banana Republic to pick some boxers up, we headed on to Boone for some Mellow Mushroom pizza.  
We motored down 221 where in 20 miles I took 500 miles off my tires and carved up the twisties.  I know I am rocking it when I begin to hear a noise on the right side of WINI, that would be Amanda giggling in the passenger seat.
After getting lost in the Linville area, we finally found ourselves at the Linville Caverns.  This is one of the few attractions where you walk out feeling like you really got your money's worth.  We spent $6, Amanda and I decided we would pay $10, but no way $11.  The best part of the day was stopping in at Linville Falls where the guy at the information hut lectured us on how we should leave Charlotte.  His solution for Charlotte is and I quote "I think they should wall that city up, give everyone a gun and let nature take its course, then we can get in there and clean it up and make it nice."  Uh yeah, we were reminded we were in mountains.
Today we got up, had breakfast, motored a little more, then came back to the Inn.  We made the trip up to Grandfather Mountain, ate some lunch, saw the bears, eagle, and otters.  We got dropped off in a lower parking lot and Amanda and I hiked up to the mile high bridge, meeting her Dad up on the bridge.  We sat and just chatted out on the far rocks overlooking the hideous "monstrosity on the mountain" hotel.  After some afternoon naps we headed back, coming down the mountain it went from 69 to 85 degrees... and back to reality.

3 comments:

Jenni Walsh said...

Hah. I wonder what your mountain man would think of Chicago. I don't think a wall/handgun combo could take care of everything.

Dawn said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Great way to avoid the heat too!

LoriA said...

Glad you had a great weekend and so sorry about your wreck!! Had no idea! Love ya, SMIL