Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Relocation Day One

So I thought I would tell you what it is like on a relocation journey. %0D%0A%0D%0ADisclaimer%3A+The+long-term+hotel+I+am+in+has+free+beer+on+tap...+thus+the+following+does+not+nessicarily+contain+the+truth+or+objective+views.%0D%0A%0D%0AWell%2C+that+being+said%2C+this+could+be+worse.++%0D%0A%0D%0ADay+1%3A%0D%0A%0D%0AJon+wakes+up+at+Amanda+%26+Marlies%27+apartment+around+the+ +of+nine.++%28discontinue+third+person+here%29++I+am+a+little+hoarse+from+screaming+at+the+top+of+my+lungs+the+night+before%2C+the+Barenaked+Ladies+put+on+a+Holiday+concert+which+included+the+soon-to-be+classic+Christmas+ad-lib+%22Canadian+Jesus.%22++I+clear+my+throat+and+drink+a+Diet+Pepsi%2C+wondering+how+I+will+get+the+day+done.++This+is+the+first+day+of+this+journey+where+I+was+genuinly+scared.++I+drove+from+Stonecrest+to+my+mom%27s+and+was+perplexed+by+the+chain+of+events+that+lead+to+my+Chicago+relocation.++I+don%27t+know+what+I+am+scared+of+and+I+must+admit+that+as+I+write+this+the+feeling+has+subsided.++I+stoped+by+the+credit+union+to+pick+up+some+travel+cash+and+went+to+my+mom%27s.%0D%0A%0D%0AI+got+to+spend+some+time+hanging+with+my+mom%2C+she+made+me+scrambled+eggs+as+we+chatted+about+stuff.++She+did+a+couple+loads+of+MY+laundry+%28old+school+yo%21%29+while+I+showered+and+got+ready+for+my+flight.++Everything+that+I+own+that+isn%27t+currently+on+an+Atlas+Van+Lines+truck+is+now+in+the+back+of+the+1989+Chevy+S-10+that+I+spent+the+first+3+years+of+my+driving+life+in.++All+my+stuff+is+sitting+in+the+garage+waiting+for+my+to+load+into+my+4Runner+and+drive+out+of+Charlotte%2C+the+next+time+I+come+back+it+will+no+longer+be+home%2C+I+will+be+visiting.++%0D%0A%0D%0AI+got+to+the+airport+and+of+course%2C+my+flight+had+been+canceled.++Shrug+Shrug%2C+I+lope+off+to+the+%22speak+to+a+human+line%22+to+await+my+destiny.++Thank+God+I+am+US+Airways+Dividend+Miles+Gold+Prefered+because+I+think+I+would+have+been+in+line+for+hours+to+be+told+I+just+missed+my+last+chance+to+get+out.++The+airport+was+full+of+soldiers+on+leave%2C+by+the+busload+they+enter+the+terminal%2C+I+thank+God+right+there+for+their+service+and+I+am+glad+I+don%27t+have+to+work+for+W+and+get+shot+at+so+his+family+can+get+richer...+I+digress.++At+first+they+tried+to+stick+me+on+a+7%3A55-9%3A30+flight%2C+uh%2C+can+you+say+unacceptable%21++Then+they+tried+to+send+me+through+Philly%2C+umm%2C+yeah%2C+see+I+want+my+luggage+to+arrive+the+same+year+that+I+do%2C+and+if+where+January+I+may+have+given+it+a+shot%2C+but+giving+Philly+only+2.5+weeks+to+deliver+my+luggage+was+just+not+enough+time.++I+opted+for+the+earlier+connect+thru+Indy+that+cost+the+airline+more+money+because+it+was+a+United+Flight...+screw+you+USeless+Airways.++%0D%0A%0D%0AArriving+at+O%27Hare+is+good+times%2C+I+get+to+the+rental+car+counter%2C+check+in%2C+go+out+to+get+my+car...+oh+wait%2C+this+isn%27t+good%2C+in+the+mid-size+department+sits+20+PT+Cruisers+and+20+HHR%27s%2C+both+of+which+are+again+unacceptable.++I+am+not+too+cool+for+these+cars+and+if+I+were+in+Charlotte%2C+I+would+not+have+a+problem+being+seen+in+them.++However%2C+I+am+in+%22Drive-It-Like-You-Stole-It%22+Chicago+where+the+speed+limit+is+merely+a+guide+as+to+how+fast+you+should+drive+with+a+flat+tire%2C+not+four+good+ones.++I+spent+20+minutes+digging+out+the+only+V6+car%2C+a+Carmax+Blue+Pontiac+G6+burried+behind+a+row+of+5+PT+Loosers.++The+lot+porters+were+not+happy+with+my+choice+and+asked+about+what+I+was+doing%2C+after+my+retort%2C+my+helpful+sympathiser+remove+the+last+PT+Cruiser+and+I+was+on+my+way.%0D%0A%0D%0AYou+must+be+thinking%2C+what+a+day...+it+aint+ % ++I+got+up+to+the+Deerfield+area+which+Amanda+and+I+were+familiar+with+a+little%2C+I+called+the+number+on+my+sheet+and+got+the+fax+machine...+uh+oh%2C+well%2C+at+least+I+have+an+address.++So+I+finally+spot+the+address+and+pull+into+the+empty+parking+lot%2C+it+is+an+office+building+for+a+company+that+sells+and+distributes+urinal+cakes%2C+or+ +pucks%2C+on+an+industrial+road.++%28Ladies%2C+ask+your+man+if+you+don%27t+know.%29++I+am+none-to-impressed+with+our+travel+department+at+this+point.++After+some+help+%28%3F%29+from+directory+assistance+I+am+lead+to+a+hotel+20+miles+from+where+I+am...+this+is+not+the+right+hotel.++The+ladies+at+the+Springhill+Marriot+are+nice+enough+to+google+my+hotel%2C+give+me+a+proper+address+and+phone+number%2C+after+missing+my+turn+once%2C+I+am+able+to+find+it%2C+check+in%2C+and+go+get+a+sub+for+dinner.%0D%0A%0D%0AIt+was+a+stressful+day+one%2C+but+after+this+my+fear+is+gone%2C+there+are+many+obstacles+you+can+throw+my+way.++Go+ahead%2C+send+them%2C+I+will+navigate+them+all+and+prevail%21+++

No comments: